Go Green!!! Quick Tips for an Eco-friendly Wedding
Go, Go, Go… G-R-E-E-N!!! Maybe you are so earthy that you’re going to throw granola instead of rice at your wedding. Or maybe you are just an eco-conscious gal that wants to lower your wedding’s carbon footprint. If you don’t know what a carbon footprint is then check out the Carbon Footprint Calculator to find out more.
Here are some quick tips for an eco-friendly wedding:
- Eat locally — select a caterer who uses locally grown produce for the reception.
- Keep the wedding small — not only will you save money, but you’ll decrease your carbon foot print because more quests equals more food, more stuff and more travel.
- Create a green registry — you can check out http://www.registerlocally.com/ for more info.
- Re-cycle your invitations — you can use re-cycled paper or you can invite your guests on-line too.
- Go veggie — or consider having more veg and less meat at your reception.
- Choose fair trade flowers — the floral industry is under scrutiny for poor working conditions or better yet get your flowers locally.
- Do not “over” cater — lots of food goes to waste at weddings or you can ask your caterer to take the left overs to a homeless shelter.
- Think about transportation – select a venue close to home, find a sustainable limo company or use a horse and carriage which is romantic AND go for the environment too.
- Support a local non-profit org — many local arts organizations and museums offer wedding packages and can use the money, so forgo the country club and help out a local non-profit instead.
- Buy green wedding favors — look for eco friendly or “green” wedding favors and be sure to check out Moments of Elegance Green Wedding Favors catalog for ideas.
There are lots of ways to decrease your carbon footprint and have an eco-friendly wedding. Just think you could have a green wedding instead of a white one!